Tuesday, August 12, 2014

CHIBERIA RECAP



This past fall I spent a week in Chicago, Illinois. This was my first time visiting this charming city and to say that Chicago welcomed me with open, very cold, arms would be a mild way to put it. I've done my fair share of traveling and Chicago is quite a unique city. 


Experiencing the city for a week gave me a taste of what tourists and locals love so much about this place. One of my favorite things about Chicago is that although it is a enormous city-scape there is such a small town feel to it. It might have a lot to do with how warm and friendly the people were, a pleasant change from the -9 degree winds outside.

The reason for my visit was to work with a great nonprofit known as World Chicago, who facilitate the professional and personal interactions for international leaders during official visits to Chicago. Myself along with a group of nonprofit professionals across the US, got together to create a SWOT analysis of the organization to help them identify how they can further enhance their program and gain more support from the community. This was a such a great experience to work with such talented people, and to have the opportunity to help out a great organization that is making an international difference.

During my visit I wandered most of the city by foot, which landed me in interesting hole in the wall joints like Billy Goats Tavern, for a Cheezborger with a fried egg in the middle! There were so many awesome places like this one,  Watershed Bar was definitely one of them! Every place I wandered into sort've turned into my next favorite place. It's the magic of the city I suppose.

My friends and I also ventured out to see some the Chicago's architectural marvels like the Cloud Gate, better known as the bean, and the breathtaking yet slightly terrifying views from the 108th floor of Willis Tower. This city is rich in culture, has a legendary music and comedy scene, but maybe most importantly it's home to the best damn deep-dish pizza I've ever had! Check out my photo diary of all the reasons I fell in love with Chicago (please excuse the quality they were all taken on my iPhone). 

I can't wait to return! Hopefully in the spring time. When I won't risk hypothermia every time I step outside.
Most gorgeous snowscape views everywhere I turned! Not something you see in Florida.  
First thing I did when I got to Chicago, ordered a deep-dish pizza. I regret nothing. 
My friends and I were the only souls crazy enough to explore downtown in 1 degree weather. 5 minutes outside and we couldn't feel our hands or feet anymore. Totally worth it. 
So many cool bars to grab a brew. I'm convinced 50% of the reason people drink here is to stay warm.
CHEEZBORGER.CHEEZBORGER.CHEEZBORGER. 
Glass floors make for a pretty convincing levitation pic. (it took a lot of courage to even get to this point) 

Gorgeous days outside downtown Chi Town. 

A frozen over Chicago River. 

Many of the buildings in the city are hundreds of years old and make for a great free tourist attraction, and a wonderful reprieve from the cold!
Views from the office. Not too shabby. 

The BEANNNNNN. The only bean better than Cloud Gate was the warm brewed beans from Caribou Coffee.
Apparently this is a thing.

If you're from the Chicago area or have visited before and have a favorite place in the city, comment below and let me know! I would love to check out some new places when I go back and visit. Thanks for reading and happy traveling! 

xoxo, 
SC 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sabrina Captures © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat

//]]>