Thursday, December 26, 2013

POWER 95.3


Hey guys! In this post I wanted to share with you a little about my life as an radio intern. As a third year advertising and public relations student I am learning all the technical work in AD/PR (advertising and public relations) through class, but I am also immersing myself in the tangible work experience outside the classroom. I believe that this is absolutely critical for any major to do! Not only is this great first hand experience of what you are going to be doing for the rest of your life, but it also makes your résumé more attractive to potential job employers.



That being said, this is my second internship this school year. My first internship involved doing office work for a nonprofit that helped Hispanics in the area start their own businesses. However, I quickly discovered that office work was not for me! And I wouldn't of known that had I not done that internship, so after what seemed like months of boring office work I decided to pursue another avenue of AD/PR, the entertainment/fashion side! This is something I have always been fascinated by, but never saw as a steady, future career for myself. I felt this way because it's one of those industries that is so tough to break into, but someone reminded me once of a quote by Confucius that says, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” This made me realize that life is too short not to take risks and pursue happiness, so I decided to let go of that old mentality and dream big! 

That's when one thing led to another and I ended up dropping off my résumé to the Power 95.3 table for the position of Promotions Intern at my school's internship fair. When I got a call back from Power asking for an interview I was ecstatic, but more so confused about what I could offer and learn from this less formal application of my AD/PR skills. So, fast forward a couple interviews later and I land the internship position! Not  only that, I got offered to also assist as an On-Air Intern for the stations very successful morning show, The Obie and Lil Shawn Show! I was so excited about the opportunity to work with these hilarious radio personalities and get a real feel for the in's-and-outs of the radio business, both behind the mic and on the streets interacting with the listeners. 

It has been such a blast working with such energetic and positive people! After only a few short months, I feel so at home in the radio/entertainment business. Some of my duties include helping the producer stream the show live online, checking commercial times, editing commercial cuts, running the social media for the morning show and going out in the streets promoting the Power name. Everyday is a new learning experience and this internship has given me a taste of what's to come!

Also the morning show let me play photographer and take pictures of the studio where we record every morning and have fun! Enjoy, and make sure you check out Orlando's #1 Hip Hop Station Power 95.3 and the greatest morning show around, The Obie and Lil Shawn Show! 






Thanks for reading lovelies, 
xo, SC 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sabrina Captures © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat

//]]>